Monday, April 19, 2010

Hockey

I know, what does hockey have to do with technology? Actually very little but I had one of those historical moments tonight and it involves hockey.

The Stanley Cup playoffs have started and both of the hockey fans in the USA are excited. Sorry, that's rude. There are actually dozens of hockey fans in the country. The start of the playoffs reminded of the days when I was actually a hockey fan, in the 70s and 80s, before the strike.

I fondly remember the Olde Phillie Flyers with no helmets and flying fists. They didn't beat teams on the score board, they BEAT teams. I wasn't at the game but remember my joy when they won the first of their two Cups over 35 years ago! I was playing bridge with the Cohen's at the home of the North Argyle Sox and we had the game on the radio (no TV was available). It was a great night.

So where's the link? Nothing that we consider indispensable today (cell phones, the internet, personal computers) even existed. In 35 years the best hockey team and the best technology have gone through so many advances that they are archaic dinosaurs.

The 1975 Flyers have no place in 2010 and neither do rotary POTS telephones and radio as the only way to view sports.

As I'm writing this for a blog, using a netbook connected to the net using 802.11g, I'm watching my beloved Angels live on DirectTV. What a difference 35 years makes.

No comments:

Post a Comment