Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Skype 7


Microsoft released Skype 7 for Windows on Friday, complete with a more touch-friendly interface, and a new compact mode to help cut down on the screen space the app consumes.

The new preview version of Skype 7 for Windows debuted in October, alongside a new version for the Mac. In that version, Skype chats dominated the available white space, with large emoticons taking up much of the screen. Microsoft said in its new, final release that it had included a new compact view in response to user feedback.

You can find this update under both “View” as well as Tools>Options>IM Settings, Microsoft says. Skype hasn’t pushed the update to my PC yet, so I can’t tell you whether the screenshot Microsoft provided above represents the compact view or not.

The other change Microsoft made to the final version of Skype 7 is that it’s now touch-enabled—a welcome change. My large monitor is not touch-enabled, but my second display is. Now, if I have a webpage on my big screen, Skype's touch features will let me slide a window around on my second screen without a mouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment