Saturday, July 30, 2011

Tablets

This week I tried something different, traveling with just a Tablet computer. I've been on the road for the past couple of weeks and decided to take a side trip and not take my Lenovo S12 Netbook with me. The Lenovo has been my preferred traveling companion for some time now but I decided this was the perfect time to see if Tablet computers were up to the task as an all-purpose device.

When I was in the car the Motorola XOOM was wonderful! The Verizon connectivity was solid with no areas of poor coverage. I was driving on interstate highways on the east coast so that was expected. The Navigation app and GPS did a great job of turn-by-turn navigation and the built-in maps replaced a paper Atlas easily.My contacts and gmail were all at my fingertips at all times so I didn't need my usual paper 5x7 tablet at all.

The only disappointments were with how the browser handled AOL mail and the lack of a really good word processor. I'm not sure what can be done about the AOL mail situation but I'll keep trying to find answers. As for a word processor, I've tried a couple with mixed results. I'm looking for an Android app that allows me to write simple text that I can then send to my netbook/notebook for final processing. I would prefer one with spell check and one that doesn't add hard returns at the end of every line. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Chuck,

    For word processing, I recommend using Google Docs on the Motorola XOOM, as the Google integration with Android makes it pretty seamless for accessing from a netbook/notebook or desktop/laptop.

    Tiffany Deluccia

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiffany, if you have been following this blog you know we have taken your advice to heart. Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete