Sunday, February 10, 2013

A Lightweight OS


Recently I have been underwhelmed by the operating system choices available for laptop and netbook users. Windows 8 and the latest MacOS both require hi-octane hardware and have User Interfaces (UIs) that I seriously dislike. Ubuntu used to be an alternative but they have switched to the Unity UI and I dislike that as much as the others. This weekend I may have found an alternative.

Lubuntu is a free version of Ubuntu that is intended to be used on older or slower computers (like Netbooks) and it uses the LXDE UI.It looks lke it might be just what I’m looking for, a less demanding OS and UI that will allow me to work the way I want to without all of the bells and whistles I’m trying to avoid.

I’ve downloaded Luibuntu 12.10 and will be testing it out this week. Stay tuned for updates!

No comments:

Post a Comment