Thursday, January 21, 2010

Ubuntu and wireless

Part of my normal Netbook testing has always involved using a Linux USB drive to boot with to see how the Netbook handles Linux. I've been using Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix on a 4GB drive until recently. I'm now using Ubuntu and Kubuntu 9.10 Remix versions on different 2GB drives. The one area I've encountered some problems with is wireless networking. The problem is usually driver based because every maker seems to use different hardare. Here's a list of the ones I've tested so far: Gateway LT2030u - Atheros ARSB95 Dell Latitude 2100 - Dell Wireless 1397 Lenovo IdeaPad S12 - Broadcom 802.11g ASUS Eee PC 900 - Atheros ARS5007EG With Ubuntu 9.04 both the Dell and ASUS wireless networking adapters were recognized immediately and connected with no problems. The Lenovo and Gateway netbooks were never able to connect despite my best efforts. With Ubuntu 9.10 everything has changed. I was able to get all of the correct drivers loaded with no problems and all four netbooks have excellent wireless connectivity. If you've read my posts on Win7 Starter Edition you'll understand why I'm leaving the USB drive connected to the Gateway for now, it's a much better fit to a great little netbook. I'll be publishing a full review in the next issue of the newsletter.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    Where did you find the driver for Atheros ARS5007EG?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curiously, with Win7 Starter on my LT the Atheros ARSB95 adapter connects at g speeds. I set my router to all n (normally run misxed n/g) and the adapter could see the router with excellent signal but would not connect no matter what I tried. My other computers did fine at n speeds. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is a great report for this certain topic.
    Personal data corruption scenario is definitely an Inconvenience for the end user.
    A wide variety of data recovery packages have already been designed a by the experts, guaranteeing that an end user can certainly easily regain his or her damaged or lost files.
    If a deletion of data scenario is occured, end user have to know which application or software program to utilize as a way to deal with this scenario of information loss.
    outlook pst repair tool

    ReplyDelete