Monday, October 25, 2010

Internet access

I had an interesting conversation with my fiend Jeremy recently. It turns out that his family doesn't have a computer interent service at home. Nope, no DSL, no cable or dish network at all. Does that mean they aren't online? Au contrair!! His whole family is online almost constantly. They are examples of how the internet continues to eveolve. They are online using their mobile devices. They all have HTC or Palm smartphones and use them the way others use computers.

That led me to do some research and I was very surprised at the results. It turns out that the percentages of people accessing the internet using various computer operating systems is staying fairly constant. Mac has made a slight increase and Linus a slight decrease but nothing major for anyone.

The big change is the percentage of people accessing the internet using portable devices. It's grown from minuscule in 2007 to significant today. iStuff has the majority of the portable device market, about 42%, but I expect that to change in the next year as Android and Win7 Phone really start to take off.

We are in the middle of another major shift in how people live their lives and I find it very exciting. This is the stuff I talked about with Dr. Holgado 10 years ago. The wold is converging and will be held in the palm of your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment