Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Netbook problems

I've been testing the Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook version on some netbook computers and have run into some problems.  I've created a bootable flash drive, just as I always do, with 2GB of persistence. That combination has always been a winner for me and I had high hopes for this version.


The first netbook I tried was my first netbook, an ASUS Eee PC 900. It's old and slow but wonderfully light and compact. I was very surprised when the ASUS skipped the flash drive on boot and loaded WinXp. The ASUS booted fine using a flash drive with 10.04 so I thought something was wrong with the flash drive. I created another bootable drive and had the same problems.

I then tried the two drives I'd created with a Gateway LT2030u and it worked perfectly! Curious.

I'll be writing this whole experience up for an upcoming newsletter article but here's the quick version of my experiences with flash drives using Ubuntu Netbook 10.01:

ASUS Eee PC 900: won't boot at all
Gateway LT2030U and Samsung N220: works perfectly
Lenovo S12 and S10-3: major boot problems and IF it loads there are many hardware problems

No comments:

Post a Comment