Thursday, October 7, 2010

Thoughts on eBooks

I recently read an article that reported that there are now eBooks that are selling for higher prices than their print counterparts. It was an inevitable change and reflects the Law of Supply and Demand. If people are buying their books in eBook formats then it's where the money has to come from.

When I'm in the market for a book, or a video for that matter, I usually go to Amazon.com. Very often I'll buy a used copy and save big bucks. The text is all there and I save a lot of money.

When will I be able to buy an eBook that way? Most people don't realize that there is a major difference between BUYING a print book and LICENSING an eBook. When you spend your money to read an eBook you don't own squat. You can't let your brother-in-law read it when your done. You're the only one with a license.

We need to move to a business model that protects the rights of copyright holders but still allows flexibility for buyers.

No comments:

Post a Comment