Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Changes in Ubuntu

Mark Shuttleworth of Canonical recently announced major changes in the next version of Ubuntu software, version 11.04 the Maverick Meerkat. The most obvious change will be a switch from the Gnome desktop to Unity.

We've had bit of experience with Unity, it's the desktop used in the Kubuntu 10.10 Netbook Remix. It's a totally different look and I'm still not sure whether I like it or not. I guess I'll get used to it in time.

The second change will be dropping OpenOffice.org as the office software suite and using Libre Office instead. This one baffles me. I've used versions of OpenOffice for many years and I feel it's a viable alternative to MSFT Office. If you haven't used, or even heard of Libre Office, you're not alone. I checked it out and it's still in beta! I guess I'll have to do a separate download of OpenOffice.org in order to get the suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment