Sunday, April 28, 2013

xPrintServer- Part 2


By Bayle Emlein

The Quick Start Guide has screen shots of how to plug the xPrintServer box into my router and printer, and screen shots of selecting my printer, all in the fly speck font (about 6 point sans serif) that seems mandatory for this kind of document. The graphics have an over-generous amount of white space that could be creatively used to enlarge the instructions to maybe 10 point or even a generous and legible 12 point. Just a thought.

Two visits from inhouse tech support have gotten me as far as getting the xPrintServer to notice that something is being sent to it. My printer, although it says it’s set up with xPrintServer, stays unblinkingly silent. Time to ask Lantronix for HELP. It appears no one else has had any difficulty getting this kind of set-up to work as there is nothing in the FAQ section that seems remotely promising. Onward to Lantronix Tech Support.

For now I’m going to skip the option of Tech Support for Reviewers and try the civilian route, the experience you’d have if you spent money first and then got to this impasse. It seems necessary to create an account before I can email them a message. I am promised they will not abuse my contact information, but only provide updates and information I really, really want.

I submitted my request on the evening of February 4, 2013. By the time I got to email on the 5th, there was a response that I’d get a response. And on the 6th, an emailed request that I send diagnostics, network addresses, and other information. Way beyond the “plugNplay” “never look under the hood” Apple philosophy. After another consultation with the inhouse techie, I provided what seemed like the requested info. And got more requests for detailed information about my set-up. Owing to the built-in schedule mismatch between my home office and Lantronix tech support, each of these exchanges took at least two days.

They closed the Help request on 2/20, without further resolution or a real explanation of why they thought they were done. By this time I was ready to pull rank and email the reviewer’s contact. After my evening email query, I received a phone call back early the next morning. When I arranged to get myself back to the home office, in front of the problem, I called the direct number back and a tech talked me through the set up. It boiled down to not being able to use the printer through the server unless it is directly routed into the network, or some geek-speak explanation along those lines. I can manually unplug the printer from the computer and into the xPrintServer, which will then print  from the computer also. But I lose the multi-functions of my multi-function printer, unless I plug the computer back into the printer.

To be continued, again.....

No comments:

Post a Comment