Monday, April 29, 2013

xPrintServer Review- Part 3


By Bayle Emlein

I decided that, given my usage patterns, all this hot-swapping is slightly more of a hassle than emailing myself from the iPad, especially as I’d need to clean up the formatting in either case.
I took the xPrintServer to the main office, where half a dozen or more dedicated iPad users would be ecstatic to print directly. Connecting the xPrintServer with the network printer got the fastest response from building IT that I have ever seen. Although we could not see the printer, apparently the xPrintServer had grabbed an IP address, causing the chief admin’s copier to fail.

Onward to a small outliving office that has boxed itself into a corner promising that printing from an iPad would be automatic from their air printer. They are a Mac-based facility, with all the confidence of Apple fans that everything is usable out of the box, though they had sounded like they had a bit of technical expertise. That was a month ago and as far as I know they are still looking for a router that will let them connect the xPrintServer.

A minor quibble in all this hassle: the power plug could be a lot more user-friendly. One black cord among half a dozen or so, nothing at all indicates that it goes to a Lantronix device. A little masking tape will handle the problem, though not elegantly. Another unfriendly characteristic of the plug is that it covers an extra power socket and is wide enough that with a little creativity one can drape over it three.

In summary, the instructions could be written more clearly and legibly. Fewer promises about the ease of installation and use would keep expectations under control. You might think I’d learn and not believe the next pretty PlugAndPlay offer I see, but I’ll probably fall for the line once again.

If anyone reading this has actually gotten the xPrintServer to print from an iPad, I’d appreciate knowing how you did it. You could let this blog know!!

No comments:

Post a Comment