Monday, May 6, 2013

To Droid or Not to Droid


By Robert Sanborn

To Droid or not to droid, is that a question you are asking yourselves as you look at the choices of smartphones? 

I broke down over a year ago and bought the Apple iPhone 4S model and really like having it except for a couple of snags. I purchased the minimum data plan mostly because I really didn’t like the idea of surfing the web on something that small and didn’t want to pay the $50 a month for that privilege.  

And for a year that philosophy worked out great as I never hit the minimum data usage. If I was going to do a bunch of updates, web surfing, and the like, I did it when I was connected to a wi-fi hotspot.  

Come to find out, the iPhone is worse than a computer when it comes to phoning home because it seems like every app that you download wants to phone home. And unfortunately, one of those apps went berserk and pushed me over my limit. Turned out to be an Apple software snag that did it. The Calendar application decided that it needed to update itself via the cloud constantly. Fortunately, there was a quick fix from Apple but it did cost me a hit on the data plan.  So now I spend time monitoring the data use to make sure there aren’t any other data hogs out there.  

Too bad there wasn’t a better app for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment