Thursday, December 13, 2012

Here's the Review of Dragon Naturally Speaking


By Bayle Emlein

I have been seeing a lot of advertising with Dragon 12 lately that implies ropes that you can just talk to it and have it to say exactly what you want without any editing or correction. I’ve also been seeing a lot of sales on the product which implies that a new version is coming out soon said there really is no competition for Dragon as a speech to text application. I’m doing this dictating this on a what is the slapped in spurn Dell Inspiron 1520 with an Andrea headset using window was seven and went to have for gig of RAM which is probably the most important thing about what’s on the machine.

Because I’ve been seeing so many ads implying that I could write the Great American novel went out have ever having to edit I am editing this I am not editing this at all. While Dragon is light years better than it was when I first encountered it more than a decade ago, it still is not quite the automatic for voice to perfect text on the page as I imagine it in my head. I also included just a little bit and in saving this document used my fingers on the keyboard I could not make it go where I wanted to to. And as you well know Windows will save documents to some mysterious file and it’s the good scratch that of its innard unless you intentionally move the files to folders that you have managed and set up according to the way you can think of them and find them. I was not able to do that by voice I am sure.
Keep forgetting to say the punctuation and it’s not picking up punctuation in my intonation.

Is Dragon worth your time and trouble? It depends on how much patience you have to train it to the way you speak. More importantly it depends on how much patience you have in getting trained to speak the way it will recognize you. Well there’s an S floating out at the end of this document which is just going to have to stay there since the rule that I made up for this game is that I am not going to use my fingers. S
Go back one will I am trying to edit here and get rid of that S in the middle of the document and it is not working babble babble.

As I was saying learning to use Dragon naturally speaking might be worth your time and trouble depending on how much difficulty you have with keyboarding and/or manual writing. It still seems to take in an inordinate amount of attention to the content and editing and focus to get it to say on the screen what’s coming out of my mouth I think. I do not have the voice the ideal voice for Dragon but then if I had the ideal voice well that’s not true faith just says everything you want to say and then leaves everything on the screen unless you go back and edited never am and is interpreted as a word. Maybe I should write a parallel document that says in English what I thought I was saying because some of this is just total nonsense.

I have seen Dragon advertised anywhere from $49 $299 that’s not what I said. I said that I have seen Dragon version 12 advertised anywhere from $49 up to $199. So shopping carefully and looking for sales are definitely in your best interests if you’re at all interested in trying this out but I would definitely recommend trying it out will be for making it a commitment.

No comments:

Post a Comment