Saturday, January 18, 2014

MILC Camera Sales


Why don’t American buyers like Mirrorless-Interchangeable-Lens-Cameras (MILCs)? MILCs are very popular in Asia and in Europe but they seem to be sputtering in the USA. I find this to be bewildering.

I sat next to a Canon camera executive on my flight to Vegas for CES and we had a lengthy discussion on the sales of MILCs, particularly those from Canon. He described sales as “disappointing” and he had several possible reasons for the low number sold. The main reasons he cited are: Canon was late into the game, their camera did not have a viewfinder and Americans are still dSLR users. All three of these seem to be verified by the announcement that the new Canon EOS M2 will only be sold in Asia (for now).

I am reminded of the horrible Pentax K-01 designed by Marc Newson. It was too big and bulky and came in a truly ugly yellow color. It’s sales were also “disappointing” and it didn’t last on the market. I used the K-01 and gave it a thorough workout. The reason it didn’t sell was it was an ugly duckling that was hard to use!

Of all of the digital camera makers Olympus has made the biggest commitment to the MILC format. Their sales are showing some growth and Olympus may, and it is a big may, be turning the corner. I certainly hope so because I love MILCs!!

No comments:

Post a Comment