Tuesday, April 10, 2012

MSFT buys AOL patents


In a major move in the patents wars MSFT has purchased more than 800 of AOL’s patents for $1.056 billion. Analysts that I’ve heard say the deal should be a good one for both companies and I believe them. MSFT can always use more ammunition in their never ending quest to sue everyone in the world and AOL can use the cash.

From what I see, the acquisition is intended to strengthen MSFT’s hand in the mapping wars.Google currently has a lead with Google Maps and it’s wonderful integration with all of Google’s other products.

As everyone knows, I am a huge fan of innovation and if this move spurs all companies to make their products better then I’m happy for them. But, it this purchase is going do be used to try to block innovation the I’ll be very disappointed indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment