Friday, April 6, 2012

Star Trek saw the future of computing


On Wednesday April 4th Google showed the first version of what may well be the real future of computing, Google glasses. The current prototypes actually look very cool and, from what we’ve heard, actually work. I’m reminded of Star Trek when I see them and I have a hunch that’s what Google is looking for.

Actually, by the later versions of the Star Trek TV show (not the original Shatner version) they had very good guesses at what computing would be like in the near term future, not hundreds of years in the future. If you recall, everyone used tablets!! I’m a dreamer but I admit I can’t imagine what computing will be like 50 years from now, let alone hundreds of years from now.

The only real fear I have is that people are not ready for the kind of connectivity Google glasses will give them. How many people will die on the highways if this enormous distraction is available while they are driving? I’m very afraid at this point. Let’s see what the future holds.



No comments:

Post a Comment