Friday, July 20, 2012

Exciting Email from MSFT


By Bayle Emlein

Just got an Exciting Email from Microsoft: I can download a free trial of Office 365 (or is it Office 360?) All I need is Win 7 or better and a consistent, robust internet connection.

WordPerfect looks better all the time. Even LibreOffice is shining through. Sure, I would love to have secure access to my documents (many of which are covered by client confidentiality regulations) anywhere in the world. My home connection is pretty good, except after a few days of rain. Guess that's the upside to the drought. Connection at work? Some machines connect some of the time in some buildings. Others are known dead spots. I hear "they" might be working on this, but I'm not volunteering for further frustration.

The upgrade to Win 7 or 8? Sure, if they give me the link to download a free update and send a voucher to cover the cost of the time it will take me to install and relearn. And maybe a month of 4G connection on the devices I frequent? Who knows, if I try it I might like it.

All I saw about features down to the 2 levels I clicked through was an assurance that I really need this thing. Didn't see one of those nice comparison charts that tell me which version has what features, and which are not available in previous releases. Nothing that would make me want to drop everything productive and spend a couple of days trying this out.

Right now, the first feature I'd like to see is a familiar (inter)face, followed quite closely by a smarter version of autocorrect. If you're wondering what I mean, wander on over to DamnYouAutoCorrect and waste a few hours chortling at other people's frustration with
modern improvements.

No comments:

Post a Comment