Monday, July 30, 2012

Why Keep "Olde" Computers?


By Chuck Hajdu

I’m a packrat and I know it. Not in everything mind you, just with certain things. Things like computers mostly. It seems that I just can’t throw old computers out, unless I’ve stripped them of every part that someone, someday, may need.

Back when we all used desktops that meant I’d take the computer apart and put all of the cards, chips, wires and all of the other components in little boxes and bins saving them for the inevitable emergency. Which seldom, if ever, came by the way. I still have lots of parts for 8088 and 286 computers if you need them!

Most computer users today use laptops, and to a lesser extent Phablets, so instead of stripping old computers I just save the whole thing.  That means I have little (actually pretty big) piles of laptops in bags and boxes strewn around the office waiting for a rainy day.

This week I had one of those rainy days! My daughter needed me to come to her rescue with a problem she was having with her Netbook. I needed to access a software product I had not used in many years and wasn’t even sure I still had available. Lo and behold I found an old Gateway convertible laptop (the earliest tablet computers) that had the software loaded on it. A relatively quick boot of WinXp and a few mouse clicks later and she was back in business!

I guess this means my packrat lifestyle has proven itself to be worthwhile and I can continue hoarding dust collectors for a while longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment