Thursday, February 2, 2012
New Pentax designer camera
At CES last month I had an opportunity to see the new Pentax K-01 (kay zero one) ILC (Interchangeable lens camera) in person for the first time. I must admit that it was a bit different than I expected. It isn’t the traditional style digital camera, nor was it designed to be one. It’s a radically new design by renowned designer Marc Newson. The concept from Pentax was to give Mr. Newson a clean pallet on which to design a new camera for the 21st Century. Mr. Newson has designed a wide range of products and his works are on display in museums around the world.
Here’s some of the data from the release:
The contemporary, timeless K-01 houses a full array of advanced functions and user-friendly features in a camera body with remarkable form and function. The elimination of an optical viewfinder and quick-return mirror gave Newson more freedom in designing the camera body, and the K-01 showcases Newson originality in every detail. Available in black, white and Newson’s signature yellow colors, the K-01 features the designer’s autograph logo stamp on the bottom of each camera.
The famed designer’s touch also is evident in a new smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS interchangeable lens. As the world’s thinnest interchangeable lens,* the new 40mm combines with the PENTAX K-01 camera body to deliver a unique ILC system that is perfect for photographers who are as keen on design as they are on performance. Together, the K-01 and 40mm lens system mark the intersection where high technology and high design meet.
Key features of the PENTAX K-01 include:
· Durable machined aluminum frame under a stylish black, white, or yellow exterior.
· PENTAX mirrorless body design is compatible with 25+ million PENTAX K-mount lenses spanning decades.
· Large 16 megapixel APS-C sized CMOS image sensor with low noise image capture and multiple aspect ratios.
· Bright, high resolution 3 inch LCD with 920,000 dots.
· Full HD 1080p video capture at 30 FPS with h.264 compression (60 FPS at 720p) features outstanding video capture flexibility.
· Sensor-shift PENTAX Shake and Dust Reduction system is compatible with every mounted PENTAX lens.
· Fast 5 FPS burst mode is ideal for fast-action photography.
· Flexible ISO range of 100-25600 ensures gorgeous noise-free imaging in any lighting condition.
· Focus peaking mode provides fast and accurate manual focusing for critical focus applications.
* The world’s thinnest interchangeable lens for lens-interchangeable digital SLR cameras, as of February 1, 2012 (based on PENTAX’s research).
The K-01 will be available in yellow, black and white in March 2012 for $749.95USD (body only) and $899.95USD (lens kit including new DA40mm XS) in Marc Newson designed packaging and with the Marc Newson designed strap. The smc PENTAX-DA 40mm F2.8 XS unifocal interchangeable standard lens will ship at the same time for $249.95 USD.
Additional information is available here: www.pentaximaging.com/news and a video interview with Mark Newsonregarding the K-01design may be viewed here: www.youtube.com/pentaxian1Images of other Marc Newson creations are available here.