PENTAX RICOH IMAGING AMERICAS CORPORATION just pushed the PENTAX WG adventure camera series to the edge for the 13th time with the introduction of the PENTAX Optio WG-2 and PENTAX Optio WG-2 GPS digital compact cameras. These rugged, waterproof, dustproof and shock-resistant models feature more durability than ever before as well as improved image quality in high-sensitivity shooting and Full1080pHD movie recording capability.
The Optio WG camera family is ready for adventure in any outdoor setting. Foremost in the latest models’ feature set is a new back-illuminated 16 megapixel CMOS image sensor and powerful imaging engine that perform superbly in high-sensitivity settings such as night shooting or in poorly illuminated indoor settings. The WG-2 models deliver clear, sharp images with less noise than previous models.
Other major improvements in the latest models include:
• High-resolution Full HD 1080pmovie recording (1920 x 1080 pixels) at 30 FPS with high quality h.264 compression.
• Waterproof to depths of 40 feet.
• Digital Microscope mode with one additional macro LED (total of six lights) for excellent macro lighting of subjects as close as 1 cm.
• A newly designed GPS module that delivers a shorter time lag before GPS start-up and longer battery life during GPS activation.
• A new optional SportMount Chest Harness that straps-on the WG-2 for hands-free HD movie capture of every exciting moment of adventure on land, sea or in the air.
Other outstanding WG-2 features include:
• Shockproof design protects camera drop up to 5 feet.
• Crushproof construction withstands weights up to 220 LBF (pound-force).
• Coldproof to sub-freezing temps of minus 10 degrees C (14 degrees F).
• Dustproof design protects the camera from dry, dusty environments.
• Wide angle 5X internal optical zoom lens (28-140mm equivalent).
• Large 3 inch LCD features HVGA resolution (460,000 dots) and anti-reflective coating on its protective cover.
• Hardened cover with SP coating protects internal lens elements.
• An HDMI port (Micro, Type-D) plays back beautiful, high definition images and video on HDTVs.
• Pixel Track, Digital, and Movie Shake Reduction ensure sharp, blur-free images and video.
• Fast Face Detection technology including Smile Capture and Blink Detection to capture perfect portraits.
• A Handheld Night Snap mode produces a single blur-free, composite image from four images of the same scene.
• An autofocus assist lamp helps to quickly and accurately focus.
• Extended dynamic range helps bring out extra highlight and shadow detail.
• PENTAX infrared remote control compatibility for remote shooting.
• GPS and non-GPS versions are available in several new stylish color options.
Priced at $349.95 USD, Optio WG-2 will be available in a choice of Black or Vermillion Red, while the Optio WG-2 GPS will be priced at $399.95 USD in a choice of Shiny Orange or Gloss White. The new SportMount Chest Harness will be priced at $49.95 USD and should be available late spring or early summer 2012. OptioWG-2 cameras can be pre-ordered on www.pentaxwebstore.com to ship by March 2012.