Friday, January 13, 2012

Day 2 of CES

Wednesday was the second full day of CES and it was a long one. After a late Tuesday night I had a 7AM meeting at the Venecian that I attended. After that I had a full day of meetings scheduled that were all over the map!

This is the first year that the PMA photography show is being held in conjunction with CES and looks like a bad marriage. After my 7-9AM event I was going to the PMA show which was located in the Venecian also. I asked the highly trained CEA staff where PMA was and they all looked at me like I was crazy. After exploring the entire area I saw a small sign indicating that PMA was behind the CES ballroom. That was the only indication that the show was there.

The PMA floor setup reminded me of the old Comdex area set aside for very small companies in the back of the Sands convention center. I was able to find the company I was looking for and got an excelent briefing on the photographic tripods. I'll have a blog on that soon.

My impression of how CEA handled the PMA show is a simple one: CEA wanted to try to hide the fact that PMA was even there.

When the big players in the photo industry, like Canon, Nikon, Fujifilm an Samsung, with their big lavish displays were literally miles away from the small fry the small vendors don't draw the crowds they need. In my opinion this was deliberate. CEA didn't want PMA competing with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment