Sunday, October 9, 2011

Steve Jobs and public displays of philanthropy

I have always been a huge fan of philanthropy. Helping others is, to me, one our primary social responsibilities. However, I despise public shows of philanthropy. Anyone who makes a big show of how wonderfully philanthropic they are is doing the right thing (giving) for all of the wrong reasons.

This came to mind today because of the arguments I've been reading about concerning Steve Jobs giving to the needy, or not giving as the case may be. The late Mr. Jobs giving to charity was his personal business and not the subject for conjecture by others.

I applaud Bill Gates and Warren Buffett for their willingness to share their wealth with the less fortunate. I deplore the fact that they are such publicity hounds about it.

Rest in peace Mr. Jobs and don't worry about the noise makers here on earth who are just looking at making themselves look better. In reality, they are making themselves look small and petty.

No comments:

Post a Comment